Menu Close

The Story of Alton Bowling Club – Time Line


Compiled by Linda Habberfield

1790 Reference to a bowling green the Butchers Arms
1884 Alton Bowling Club founded at the Butchers Arms
1885 Opening match
1886 Butchers Arms to let, with bowling green
1900 Alton Bowling Club move to a new green behind the Swan Hotel
1908 Ladies Day – ladies invited to watch men demonstrate their skills
1909 The year started with a balance in hand of £1 7s 2d and finished on the right side of 1d
1913 Bowling greens also in use at the Constitutional Club and the Liberal Club
1953 Alton Town Council take the decision to build a bowling green in the Public Gardens, and state that “the bowling green is not for men only”
1954 Official opening of bowling green on 23 July
1954 Formation of Alton Ladies Bowling Club
1959 Alton Council propose that Bowling Club take over maintenance of green and pavilion
1960 New pavilion complete, first meeting held there 13 June
1960 New pavilion officially opened on 19 June
1962 Ladies request improved kitchen accommodation, new kitchen ready for use on 19 May
1974 Men’s Club bans women from green after 6pm except for competitions or on Saturdays and Sundays if the men had a match. Alton Ladies Bowling Club complained to Alton Town Council
1980 Ladies may bowl in evenings, not more than two greens
1984 Perimeter fence replacement completed.
1987 New Giant Squares irrigation system installed
1991 Officers and Committee members can be either male or female, not including President and Captain
1993 Green surround boarded
1994 Alton Bowling Club and Alton Ladies Bowling Club became officially mixed
1998 Extension to men’s changing room and stores complete
1999 Nine Point watering system installed